Course on applied musicology focused on the restitution of Catalan-Occitan songs.
Dr. Mauricio Molina and Cristina Alís Raurich.
Reconstruction of the music and exploration of performance possibilities for the earliest Occitan-Catalan songs (a selection of some 5 pieces).
1) Musicological approach :
- transcription of the pieces with musical notation
- creation of melodies for pieces without melodies (following different possibilities based on intonation formulas)
- pieces with similar poetic rhythm, etc
- exploration of performance possibilities (taking into consideration functionality of the pieces, audience, indication in the manuscript, etc…)
This will be done for every piece.
2) Practical approach :
- proper pronunciation, rhythm, rhetorical delivery, tuning, phrasing, ornamentation, musical instrument accompaniment.
- For the accompaniment we will have some few instruments available in class : 1 vielle, 1 citole (or guitern), 1 portative organ, 1-2 percussion instruments…
These instruments will be given to those students with some experience.
Course in English (and French).
Discounts for former students of Medieval Music Besalú.